I don’t know how food bloggers do it.
Re-living all these meals for this post had me salivating. Literally. I have swallowed like twice as much as usual #TWSS.
But anyways, here’s what we ate in Maui. I realize we went in October and that I don’t have pictures for every single meal. DEAL WITH IT.
Friday – Sansei Restaurant
We went here our first night in Maui for two reasons: the online reviews and it’s close proximity to our condo in Kapalua. Oh! And I wanted sushi the worst. We ended up eating here twice it was so good.
- California Roll
- Spicy Tuna Roll
- Spider Roll
Saturday: Cheeseburger in Paradise
This place is a Nash family tradition and one that Bryan and I upheld. We each got the classic “Cheeseburger in Paradise”, split a basket of fries and had mai tais. Hit the spot.
Sunday: Aloha Mixed Plate
We went here after I had read tons of good reviews online, praising it’s Hawaiian-style menu. The prices were cheap and the food, delicious. I ordered the Aloha Mixed Plate, which came with chicken, beef and fish with two scoops of white rice and macaroni salad. Bryan had fish tacos but definitely wished he had stuck to the original.
Bryan wanted to try this place out since we were staying in Kapalua and we heard great things about the food. Well, to say we were impressed would be an understatement. After dining here, we decided to cancel our reservation at Mama’s Fish House since our desire for gourmet food, amazing service and beautiful surrounding had already been satisfied.
- Warm Crusted Big Island Goat Cheese: Kula Strawberries, Maui Onions, Strawberry and Garden Mint Vinaigrette
- Peter’s Original Caesar Salad: Triple N Farm Baby Romaine, Fried Green Tomato Crouton
- Merriman’s Original Wok Charred Ahi: Curried Ninole Hearts of Palm, Black Forbidden Rice, Pohole Fern Salad, Wasabi Cilantro Vinaigrette
I feel like Sydney Fife from I Love You, Man when I talk about the fish tacos at Leilani’s. They are on-another-planet good. It is planetary. You get me. We ate here twice because of the fish tacos. Once for dinner and then for lunch. Oh, and we also ordered a caesar for balance.
Wednesday: Breakfast at Pioneer Inn
Wednesday: Mala Ocean Tavern
We dined here after a recommendation from Bryan’s mom and found it to be completely charming. Maybe a tad overpriced but perhaps we just ordered too much? Sitting on the deck was awesome and so were the fresh-made chips and pureed edemame they brought to the table.
For dinner we ordered:
- Mark’s Hydroponic Caesar Waipoli Caesar Salad: Flax seed croutons, white anchovy and grated egg
- Fresh Mahi Mahi Special
- Ahi Tuna Sausage Flatbread with goat cheese
Thursday breakfast was none other than Krispy Kreme.
For dinner we went right on back to Sansei!
This time it was:
- Sansei’s Shrimp Dynamite: Crispy tempura shrimp tossed with creamy garlic masago aioli and drizzled with an unagi glaze
- Bagel Roll
- Panko Crusted Ahi Sashimi Sushi Roll: Sashimi grade Hawaiian ahi, arugula and spinach wrapped into a sushi roll, panko crusted, flash-fried and served with Sansei’s mild soy wasabi butter sauce
- Takah Sushi Special Roll Named in Honor of Takah Sama, Aspen, Colorado: Shrimp, ahi, crab, avocado and cucumber, inside-out and crusted with masago
We went here on a recommendation from our server at Hula Grille and were SO glad we did. The food was totally amazing, as was the service and the view. Totes romantic.
- I’o Crab Cakes: Panko crusted crab and goat cheese cakes with roasted red bell peppers, garlic and a caramelized Maui onion and miso aioli with green papaya slaw
- Waipoli Road Salad : Assorted O’o Farm greens & vegetables, fresh herbs, Olowalu tomatoes with Maui onions and feta cheese tossed in a citrus mustard vinaigrette
- Rainbow Catch Mahi Mahi: Oven roasted fish with a lemongrass pesto & Olowalu tomatoes, goat cheese fondue sauce & white truffle oil accent over rice and dill cucumber salad
Saturday: Everything bagel at the Coffee Store